Friday, June 19, 2009

Lunching and drinking coffee

I'm convinced that in L.A. people spend the majority of their time lunching and/or drinking coffee. Hanging out on the patios of cafes are lawyers, actors, musicians, accountants, housewives and househusbands. When they are not at the restaurant hotspots eating only a third or so of their fresh organic fare, they are at The Coffee Bean or Starbucks, drinking enough coffee to make them quickly rid their bodies of the ounce of salmon that they have just consumed. Regardless of their dietary habits, which I have generalized, I love that so much time is spent fraternizing. Sure, many are checking either their iPhone or their Blackberry every few seconds, but at least some seconds are spent communicating via the old-fashion way.

While I don't see any downsides from all the lunching, I'm convinced that all the coffee drinking is causing the poor driving habits. I may start a petition to make driving under the influence of extreme caffeine illegal. Most of the drivers here have no concern for others, believing that the roads are made solely for them. And to the drivers, pedestrians are no better than the fly that President Obama killed with such alarming aggression. Unlike in New York City, you don't hear a lot of car horns honking, but you do hear a lot of swearing. I've been called "fucker" a few times now, so I've opted to embrace that I am one. This greatly diminishes the impact, and yesterday, I smiled and waved at the young woman who called me a "stupid fucker." I keep forgetting that it's legal for two cars to turn left once the traffic light has turned red.

Yesterday, I had a two hour lunch meeting followed by two meetings at coffee houses. I was feeling really great about this way of doing busy, until one of the people whom I was meeting with at the coffee house informed me that most of the people who are taking long lunches and hanging out at the coffee houses are unemployed. After a few minutes of having my bubble burst, I found an upside to his revelation. At least, even in unemployment, they could still afford a $15 side salad and a $5 cup of coffee. And, if I have to be unemployed, then that's the type of unemployment I want.

1 comment:

  1. I'm caught up on your blogs now!!! Feels like I'm there. Kiss the babies and keep enjoying yourself. It will start to feel more and more like home soon.I love seeing it through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete